Since there appears to be some confusion on the mission of NMSSA, which includes far more than just legislative issues, here is the relevant detail from the by-laws of the association:
The New Mexico Shooting Sports Association, Inc. is a 501c4 non-profit corporation
- To promote social welfare and public safety, law and order, and the national defense; to educate and train citizens of good repute in the safe and efficient handling of small arms, and in the technique of design, production, and group instruction; to increase the knowledge of small arms and promote efficiency in the use of such arms on the part of members of law enforcement agencies, of the armed forces and of citizens who would be subject to service in the event of war; and to encourage the lawful ownership and use of small arms by citizens of good repute.
- To promote good sportsmanship, and to foster the conservation and wise use of our renewable wildlife resources.
- To promote competitive shooting events.
- To serve as the Official State Association of the National Rifle Association of America, and to cooperate with other organizations of good repute in carrying out activities of mutual benefit.
- To coordinate and encourage the efforts of member clubs, individuals, and the general public in the fields of firearms safety, marksmanship training, and recreational shooting.
The NMSSA DOES NOT endorse candidates running for any office nor can any individual member offer an endorsement for the organization.
If you are a candidate and would like to provide our members with information regarding your stance on firearm issues, please send us a message from our Contact Us Page on this website. All candidates are welcome.